Start the summer right showing off the best you can be!
We have found some great work out classes around NYC, at home work outs and some healthy eats for you to get that beach body ready just in time for summer.
DANCE, BOOTCAMP & YOGA!
If dancing is your thing, then try out one of the many fitness dance classes that are offered at M Dance & Fitness. They’ve got it all from zumba and pilates to ballet and afro-indian folk.
If you want to test your flexibility and get centered, then Pure Yoga is the way to go. They even offer a new barre class. Now if those won’t get your hear racing enough then sign up for Brooklyn Bridge Bootcamp. You will literally use a mixture of bridge structures and your own body weight to get pushed to the edge.
M DANCE & FITNESS
Offers zumba, kickboxing/dance, cardio combo, hip hop, ballet, bhangra folk, pilates and afro-indian dance classes focusing on abs, core, strength, cardio, toning & more.
Locations: Pearl Studios 519 8th Avenue 12th Floor, Red Bean Studios 320 W 37th street 7th floor, Nola Studios 244 W 54th Street 11th Floor.
BROOKLYN BRIDGE BOOTCAMP
Challenging, one hour boot camp across the Brooklyn bridge. Define abs, slenderize hips and thighs, lift your butt and tone your arms.
This bootcamp uses exercises that use your own body weight, the bridge structures, benches and a special type of resistance bands to bring about amazing results for your trouble zones.
Locations: Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park, Brooklyn’s Cadman Plaza.
Indoor Classes: Stepping Out Studios 37 W 26th Street, complete Body & Spa 301 E 57th Street.
All types of yoga from Basics, Candlelight Flow, Baby & Me Yoga, Heated Yoga and more. They also offer the newest rage, a Barre class that is combination of strength training, barre work and cardio.
Location: East: 203 E 86th Street at 3rd Avenue, West: 204 W 77th Street at Amsterdam Avenue.
AT HOME WORK OUT
Now hitting the gym just isn’t everyone’s thing so we’ve found some great work outs you can do in the comfort of your own home!
THE 16 MINUTE BEACH BODY WORK OUT
1. Firm Abs: Competition Sit-Up- Lie faceup with legs straight, arms extended overhead on ground.
Engage abs and sit up, bending knees as you reach hands to toes (as shown). Return to start; continue for 1 minute.
2. Burn Fat: Flying Side Burpee- Crouch, placing hands shoulder-width apart on ground; hop feet behind you and to left into a plank, toes together (as shown).
Hop feet back up to hands and jump, raising arms overhead. Repeat on opposite side. Continue for 1 minute.
3. Plank Tuck- Start in a plank with toes on a bench or box that’s about 2 feet high. Bring right knee to chest, then return to start. Bring right knee to right elbow (as shown), and return to start. Repeat on opposite side. Continue for 1 minute.
4. Burn Fat: High-Knee Toe Touch- Stand facing a bench or box, elbows bent at sides, hands in front of you. Tap right foot on bench (as shown), then left, quickly alternating taps as you pump arms to go faster. Continue for 1 minute.
5. Firm Abs: Ab Splitter- Lie faceup, legs extended, arms above head. Raise legs as high as you can as you sit up, reaching fingers to toes (as shown); return to start. Raise and spread legs wide, then sit up, reaching hands between thighs; return to start. Tuck knees in and reach fingers to toes as you sit up; return to start. Continue for 1 minute.
6. Burn Fat: Pendulum- Start in an inverted V with hands on ground, shoulder-width apart, hips hiked, heels lifted. Raise left leg out to side as high as you can (as shown), then lower it as you hop right leg out to right. Continue, alternating legs, for 1 minute.
7. Firm Abs: Side Plank Toe Touch- Start in a side plank on right side, right arm straight, left arm extended above head, hips raised, feet stacked. Extend left leg up and slightly in front of you as you bend torso to reach left hand toward left foot (as shown). Return to start. Continue for 30 seconds; repeat on opposite side.
8. Burn Fat: Prisoner Get Up- Lie faceup with legs extended, hands behind head, elbows out. Keeping hands in place, sit up, then tuck feet behind you and kneel with right foot on ground in front of you (as shown). Stand, then reverse move to return to start. Repeat on opposite side. Continue for 1 minute.
Images & Work Out via SELF Magazine.
THE FLAT ABS IN FIVE MINUTES WORK OUT
1. Face Up: Get-Up Roll-Up- Lie faceup with right leg extended, left knee bent with left foot flat, left arm above chest and right hand gripping left arm, elbow out. Engage abs and slowly roll up (as shown). Return to start. Do 12 reps; repeat on opposite side.
2. Lateral: Side Bend Twist- Start in side plank on right, left foot staggered in front of right for balance. Extend left arm above head. Sweep left arm under stomach, twisting torso until facedown (as shown); return to start. Do 12 reps; repeat on opposite side.
3. Standing: Namaste Side Bend- Stand with feet hip-width apart, arms above head, palms pressed together, elbows out. Lean to right (as shown), pushing left hip out, until you feel your obliques and back engage. Return to start; repeat on opposite side for 1 rep. Do 12 reps.
4. Facedown: Dolphin Taps- Start in a forearm plank on a ball, palms together, elbows under shoulders. Engage abs and tap left knee to floor (as shown). Return to start; repeat on opposite side for 1 rep. Do 12 reps.
5. Faceup: Climb & Curl- Lie faceup with legs extended; raise right leg and place hands on sides of thigh. Sit up slowly, rolling through spine, engaging abs and walking hands up leg as you rise (as shown). Reverse movement to return to start. Do 12 reps; repeat on opposite side.
6. Standing: Criss Cross- Stand with feet hip-width apart, hands behind head, elbows out. Engage abs as you bring right knee across body toward left elbow (as shown). Return to start; repeat on opposite side for 1 rep. Do 12 reps.
7. Faceup: Yoga Boat- Lie faceup with legs in tabletop, arms at sides a few inches off ground. Engage abs and sit up, reaching arms up in front of you (as shown); hold for 1 count. Reverse movement to slowly return to start. Do 12 reps.
8. Lateral: Rotating Ball Plank- Start in plank with ball under shins. Twist hips to roll ball to outside of left shin and engage abs to tuck knees in and pull them toward right side (as shown). Return to start; repeat on opposite side for 1 rep. Do 12 reps.
9. Standing: Chop Loft- Stand bent slightly forward at the waist with feet hip-width apart, knees soft, holding ball with both hands at right hip. Keeping arms straight, engage abs and slowly float ball from right hip across body and above head to far left (as shown). Return to start. Do 12 reps; repeat on opposite side.
Images & Work Out via SELF Magazine.
Eating healthy can be hard, but not when you have some great recipes and fresh ingredients. We’ve put together a meal that’s easy, tastes good, and is good for you!
- Oats (Old-Fashioned rolled oats)
- Chia Seeds
- Fruit Juice
- Pint (2 cup) mason jars
- Jams, preserves, spreads (optional)
- Cocoa powder
- Vanilla Bean Paste (optional)
- Sweetener (honey, maple syrup, agave syrup
1. Add oats and chia seeds to blender container. Blend on high until you have the consistency of flour. This helps the oats and chias blend into the smoothie without a chunky texture. The finer you grind them, the smoother your smoothie will be. 2. Add the liquids (milk/ juice) to the blender container. It helps to use a long spoon or spatula to mix in the ground oats/ chias from the bottom; otherwise they can get stuck and blend poorly. 3. Add the yogurt, fruit and any spices for additional flavor. 4. Blend until ingredients are pulverized and smoothie has a consistency you like. 5. Put the lid on the individual blender or transfer smoothie to a 2 cup container. Refrigerate. 5. Put the jars or containers of smoothies in the fridge over night minimum 4 hours. 6. They need this soak time so the oats and chias to soften and expand. This gives the smoothie a thicker texture too.
Rosemary Sweet Potato Wedges
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat the oven at 450 degrees F. 2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the oil over medium heat. Stir in the rosemary. 3. Cut the sweet potatoes lengthwise into 1 1/2 inch thick wedges and place in a large bowl. Season with the salt and pepper, and drizzle with the rosemary mixture. Toss gently. 4. Arrange the wedges on a large baking sheet in a single layer so they don’t touch. Bake in the upper third of the oven for 20 minutes, turning once, or until softened and lightly browned. Season again with salt and pepper, and carefully remove from the sheet (the wedges are relatively fragile after cooking.)
SKINNY GIRL PASTA
- 8 ounces whole wheat linguine (or your pasta of choice)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium (8-ounce) zucchini, cut into thin strips (3 inches long and 3/4 inches wide)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook about 9 minutes or according to the package directions. Remove 1/4 cup cooking water to set aside. Drain pasta and set aside. 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together the yogurt, parmesan, lemon zest, and salt and pepper. Set aside. 3. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, and cook just until wilted, flipping them over occasionally with a spatula. 4. Use a spoon or spatula to push the zucchini aside so a space on the bottom of the pan is clear. Add the garlic and cook for 15-30 seconds or until golden. 5. Mix the garlic into the zucchini. 6. Stir in the tomatoes and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. 7. Transfer the zucchini mixture to the yogurt mixture, and stir to combine. Add the drained linguine, and toss gently to combine. Add the reserve pasta cooking water a tablespoon at a time, if necessary to thin it. Divide among 4 bowls and serve.